Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Our Onan 5500 lp generator keeps turning off in the middle…

Customer Question
Our Onan 5500 lp...

Our Onan 5500 lp generator keeps turning off in the middle of the night. We added oil. It started and then turned off again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes there is fuel in the tank. There are two tanks and it switches automatically from one tank to the next. The fuel I suppose is clean as we just filled the bottles.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We would rather not. However, we are in a rural area and repairmen are not nearby.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, I don't think so. We are new RV owners and pretty clueless about all of this.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/27/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Onan 5500 LP. We think it may be a switch problem, not switching tanks when one is empty. We just hooked it up to a big propane bottle and it came on. Or, maybe it is a problem with the hose.
No, I prefer to communicate this way because I am at work.

I need to know the model number. 5500LP is not a model.

Where would the model number be on the unit.

That depends on which model it is, but there will be a sticker or a metal tag somewhere on the front of the unit.