Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I just recently drained the old gas out of the on my Ariens…

Customer Question
Hi, I just recently...

Hi, I just recently drained the old gas out of the carburetor on my Ariens Deluxe 28 and put some fresh ethanol-free TruFuel in. I ran the engine for about 10 minutes until the TruFuel circulated into the fuel system. I then decided it would still be best to get as much out of the system as possible so i stopped the engine, closed the fuel valve, and tried starting it again on full choke to run it dry. It starts fine, chugging at a low RPM typical on full-choke but after about 30 seconds, it automatically accelerated to normal RPM and now it doesn't seem to run without full choke, which makes no sense as I only have ethanol free fuel in there at this point.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

None is noticeable in the tank, but that's what I want since I'm preparing it for storage.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, but I'm asking if it's normal for a small engine to be unable to run without full choke when the fuel is very low, even if the fuel itself is perfectly fresh. Most people say that's a sign of a clogged carburetor, but it seemed to be running fine with abundant fuel before it began running out.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really, unless you still don't understand something

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/26/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Ok, thank you.

Sorry, i go with the carburetor people! Check the inlet passage from the fuel tank, at the carburetor, this is the needle valve passage, I suspect it is restricted with debris. f not, check the main jet in the carburetor, which is the bowl bolt and the center passage it screws into.

Are you sure there could be debris in there? It was running completely normal until I was close to running out of gas. I was expecting the engine to stall once it ran out, but it seemed rather fishy to me how it went up to normal speed with the choke still on barely before running out.

Fuel starvation is what you describe. And the inlet to carburetor is where anything from tank would go. You could also loosen the bow bolt on the carburetor and see if water drains out!

I did drain the carburetor after the gas ran out by removing the carburetor drain bolt, and I didn't see any water come out, only fuel. My main question is whether or not it's normal for a small engine experiencing fuel-starvation to be unable to run without choke. I watched one video on YouTube regarding the common problem where people will try to start their snow blowers with the choke on and once they take the choke off, it stalls out. He says that this is because when the choke is off and the gas is bad, it will stall due to the engine getting plenty of airflow but inadequate fuel. However, I didn't have any bad gas, just a lack of fuel, but the symptoms were similar. Is this a normal behavior of an engine experiencing fuel starvation or is it a sign of something more serious? Let me know if you are confused.

It is fuel starvation, even with non-ethanol fuel , fuel can still gum up or get moisture in it.

How can it not be fuel exhaustion? It would make sense that once my machine gets down to the last bits of fuel, it won't have enough to keep the engine going if it gets too much airflow. Seems like this can be solved just by putting in new fuel. I only bought the ethanol free fuel 2 weeks ago so it's not old at all, so I don't believe it's creating any problems, and I also believe that all the regular gasoline that could gum up from last season is out of the system after I drained it before putting in the TruFuel and then running the engine with the TruFuel for 10 minutes. Is this not the case?

I just know how it works. When you run a tank dry, anything in the bottom of the tank goes into the fuel line.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician