Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an exmark laser z 60". Drive belt is slipping. Is…

Customer Question
I have an exmark...

I have an exmark laser z 60". Drive belt is slipping. Is there a way to move the whole deck forward slightly to provide the tension needed? Tensioner seems to be OK, and cannot tighten further.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

To a greater or less degree, a couple of years. Tried replacing belts, clutch. Problem still remains. Tried a shorter belt, but couldn't get it on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The mower is at least 16 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Exmark laser z. Zero turn. 16 years or so, I think.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/26/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 10 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

The belts stretch over time and the only thing that can be done to repair the issue if the tensioner is good, is replace the belt

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

s​orry it just showed that you replaced the belt already. Is this correct?

Can the deck be adjusted forward any?

are you referring to the deck drive belt for the blades or the motion drive belt?

Deck drive belt

if you have replaced the belt, then the tensioner would be the next thing I would check as you cannot move the deck to adjust the belt tension.

what belt part number have you used on this machine?

IDK. I got it local, a month ago or so.

I would check the part number to make sure the right belt was given. can you remove the belt as it sits currently without releasing the tension

No, I have to unbolt the clutch and a guard on the deck to get the belt off.
You know, I don't think this is helping much. I can tell myself to replace the belt and check the tensioner. I'll just keep playing with it.
That's all, thanks.

not a problem.

Let me know if you have any more questions.