Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

How many ohms should a new intel 24 hp coil read? Running on…

How many ohms should...

How many ohms should a new intel 24 hp coil read?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Running on one cylinder took it to shop they said coil, replaced both, still running on one lung. plug doesn't seem fouled. i think its a carburetor iddue

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, no faith in the small engine repair guys locally here in captain cook hawaii, so i have the coils and wanted to check resistance before i install

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

Nothing like it, less than 30 hrs, like new, ran great then started firing on the right side only.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Maybe someone used questionable gas, [my son next door, and it's the tropics and it rains a lot

9/26/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Does it have spark on both sides? If it does, pull the rocker cover and check the pushrods on the dead cylinder.

ok. if it were water in the fuel, seems like it would misfire both sides etc, and wouldn't the filter keep particulate out? maybe sat a week or two too long, lacquer or sludge or whatever happens

Fuel problem would affect both cylinders.

would take ten minutes for me to check that, need to go to the garage . but how many ohms on the coil?

Briggs does not rate their coils by ohms. Test only for spark!

oh. one carb for both sides. but what about some kind of obstruction on one side?
only one fuel pump ?
ok, i'll go look, back in 10 minutes

Yes one fuel pump, and carb feeds both cylinders.

oK>

ok. good spark on the right, no spark on the left
also, it starts, and if i pull the left plug wire, it keeps running, pull the right and it dies out immediately
curtis b? you there?

I;m here, did you check the pushrod on the left side?

what about kill switch wires, do they operate independently for each side?
no
but theres no spark
what do you mean 'check' the push rod?

Kill wires go through a set of diodes, but when diode is bad, you have no spark on the dead cylinder, do you have spark on the left side?

no no spark

If no spark, pull the kill wires on both coils, and test run. If it works, the diode harness needs to be replaced.

what's left if it isn't the coil, plug is good
where are the wires located, do i have to pull the cooling shroud?
are they attached to the coil?
what the hell is a diode anyway?

Yes, there is a harness that goes to each coil,in the harness is the two diodes. A diode is an electrical check valve, keeps v=current only flowing in one direction.

what makes it fail ?

they just fail.

ok i'll trust you on that. one harness per cylinder?

No, just one for both

if that's it how can one side fire and the other not?

One diode is good. and it is lets the one coil fire.

pull the kill wires off the two coils and see if it runs on both cylinders.

The fuel solenoid will let engine kill.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
well that must be it. should the small engine shop have tested that out? . ok i'm on a rock in the middle of the pacific, and it's pounding rain and my wife is calling me for dinner. so i'll chase that down tomorrow, i think we got it appreciate the help. where are you? isn't it late?

Texas, watching Monday night football!