Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Cub Cadet 2000 series, over 10 years old - tranny won't

Customer Question
Cub Cadet 2000 series...

Cub Cadet 2000 series, over 10 years old - tranny won't engage, tranny release switch corroded and gone, how to bypass?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

1 week

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes - have already torn tranny apart and checked clutch pump - all pieces move correctly, no binding, no broken bits

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No leaks, new hydrolic oil and filter, I suspect it's the release switch

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/25/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Model number? 2185? There is no release switch. Just a release lever. What switch are you referring to? Picture?

Model 2042 - there is a release lever, pulled from the back that connects to the switch at the base of the clutch. That's broken, in attached picture, but I've verified that the tranny won't engage regardless of pressure switch position (in or out).

Is the transmission pump working? You are looking for this to be release problem, but it may be the pump in transmission not picking up the oil , Is oil filter getting oil? I don;t see this as being release lever problem.

FYI I'm already over $30 in, don't want to add another $24 on a call, email or chat should work. Looking for guidance on what to try or check next. Considering that I've checked/tested the release switch, have new oil and filter, no leaks, have opened and checked the tranny and clutch/pump for broken and binding pieces and found nothing wrong (all pieces move independently, and the physical rod connection to the clutch is working fine. Maybe the pump/return itself isn't working, i.e. no fluid to the clutch and therefore no pressure to turn the tranny?

Does the filter have oil in it? It's always hard to get the pump to work after even changing the oil!

but maybe it's not enough, does it need to be 100% full? I always lose some when screwing it on. May it's a vacuum lock in the pump system due to low oil? if so, is there an easy way to bleed air out?

Filter is on the suction side of the pump, so it has to be as full as possible, as the suction system has to be vacuum tight!

ok will fill and retry - in the meantime, it's likely that air is in the system - should I look for ways to bleed or eliminate air? I simply filled the tranny from the upper rear hole, should I have also filled the clutch/pump somehow?

also the power system hydro fluid for CC is expensive and hard to find (would have to wait until tomorrow to find a store with some available) - can I use any other hydr fluid as a temporary add?

I would have used 15w50 engine oil and greased the pump with a thin grease like vaseline, to give it a better seal for starting the oil suction.

ok thx Curtis - I won't get to this until late tonight or tomorrow morning. Assuming I get the filter properly oiled, is there anything else I should be checking for? For example I see three hex-head brass plugs at the top of the clutch/pump - should I pull those and fill with fluid as well?

Load it up with oil at every place you can find!

I see question is still open? Did you get it primed?