Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Mynm onan 10000 in my motor home will run for about two

Customer Question
Mynm onan 10000 in...

Mynm onan 10000 in my motor home will run for about two hours and then shutsm off??

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Since I bought the motor home this summer

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have changed the fuel filter and the gen brushes

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 2 days by:
9/28/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

3ld1
That's not a model number.
I need the full model number from the data tag on the genset.
1ohdcaa11506c, s/n b040599245, spec c

This is a microprocessor controlled unit. It has some self-diagnostic functions, so lets see what fault code it is showing.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.
This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.
The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.
This will be the Fault Code.
Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.
There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).
The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.
There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.
For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.
If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?
.

36

OK.

Code 36 is Engine Stopped Fault.

This is almost always a fuel issue, so lets start there.

First, start the genset, and let it run until it shuts down - this procedure must be done with the unit hot.

To do a fuel flow test, get underneath the genset, and remove the return fuel line. It is marked on the side of the genset.
Attach a piece of fuel hose to the nipple, and run the hose into an empty container of at least 1 quart capacity.
Press and hold the STOP/PRIME button for exactly 1 minute.
In 1 minute, it should pump a minimum of ½ pint of fuel. If it does not, there is an issue with the pump or the supply lines.

To narrow it down, remove the fuel supply hose from the other nipple (make sure to mark which hose is which). Attach another length of fuel line to the supply nipple, and drop it into a can of fuel.
Press the STOP/PRIME button again.
If fuel still does not flow, the pump is bad.
If fuel does flow now, the line is bad between the tank and genset.

Let me know what happens.

Did this find the problem?

Hello, did this find the problem?