Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a cub cadet 2165 with a Briggs and Stratton engine…

I have a cub...

I have a cub cadet 2165 with a Briggs and Stratton engine and it is pushing oil out the crank shaft and has pushed out the oil seal

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

1998 never had this problem before

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What would cause the high pressure in the crank case

9/25/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

OIL SEALS JUST GO BAD OVER TIME. THERE IS NO REAL CAUSE FOR THIS. OVERFILLING THE CRANKCASE CAN CAUSE IT, BUT IF IT HAS NOT BEEN OVERFILLED MANY TIMES, IT MAY JUST BE DUE TO AGE.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
I will order the seal and go from there, thank you
Where would I go next if the seal is not the problem

If the seal is not the issue, the next thing I would consider is the crankcase gasket or sump gasket

the seal that I am replacing doesn't seem to be damaged other than it just wont stay seated in position, I pushed it back into position and I guess pressure pushed it right back out. I know it should have been harder to reseat, the area that the seal goes in is clean and undamaged.

on the inside there is a spring ring that keeps it tight around the shaft and this is what comes apart or gets damaged

I did not see a snap ring and one is not listed on the parts illustration, what pat number would that be?
part number

its not a snap ring. it is a thin flimsy ring like spring that is on the inside of the oil seal. it is part of the oil seal

ok, I do recall seeing seals like that on other applications, there is no spring on this one so it must have come apart

mo​st likely yes, as that is what normally causes the oil seals to fail

should the new seal fit snugly in place; should I have to tap it into place?

no​rmally they have to be tapped into place and are a tight fit

thank you, ***** ***** will be in tomorow
it worked
Great to hear. Glad we were able to get this resolved