Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Toro mdl# Z449 Z Master ZTR. While mowing, the

I have a Toro mdl# ***** Z Master ZTR. While mowing, the engine just shut down for no apparent reason. I replaced the battery and now the mower won't even crank. I suspect a safety device is defective and is keeping the unit from turning over. Any suggestions? Thanks.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Toro Mdl# ***** that was purchased new in 2005.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'd like to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so and Thank you again!

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What engine is this? If you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid, and jump from the cable terminal, to the single switch wire on the same solenoid, will engine spin? This is quick test of the battery, cables, and starter solenoid and starter.

Can you turn the engine by hand 360 degrees using the top flywheel screen or nut on the flywheel? To be sure engine has not failed!

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I jumpèd from the pòs. Terminal to one of the screws oñ thè solenoid and got sparks, I then jumped tò the other screw and the engine crañkeď over. We are getting there.