Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Yamaha G22E golf cart, the batteries are fully

I have a Yamaha...

I have a Yamaha G22E golf cart, the batteries are fully charged, the solenoid is brand new and clicking, it will drive for a little then just stop working, it seems every time I push the pedal, the solenoid clicks, the cart starts to go but then dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It's an electric golf cart, 48 volt

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes sir

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's all. Know so far

9/25/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Thank you, ***** ***** on what it could be?

Do you have a voltmeter to test each battery and the battery pack voltage? Does the charger run a full 8 hour charge cycle? Most power problems and cutting out on a cart is from low voltage, and can be just one bad battery or connection.

I have the full 12 volts individually and 48 volts across all together

OK< now what is the actual readings? A fully charged 48 volt system will be around 54 volt, and each battery will be over 13 volts. At 48 volts, the batteries are depleted.

I'm up the mountains on wifi, unfortunately I have very limited cell service

We don't need call.

Run voltage test while you drive, use two leads with alligator clips to battery pack and test voltmeter, and drive cart and watch meter. Battery pack should never drop below 48 volts! If it does, you have a bad battery or cable.

It won't move, it just clicks, when I touch the gas, it's like it wants to go but then stops, the voltage drops from 48 down to 39 volts then 29 and shuts off and goes back to 48 volts, does that mean they're bad?

It means you have a bad battery or connection!

Or charger is not charging up the batteries!

I think I'm gonna replace the batteries, they are at least 3 years old and I bought the cart used, the charger seemed to be putting out the right voltage. Thanks so much for the help

Thank you! Please rate to close the question and get me credit!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician