JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

My 23 hp command engine has a bent push rod left side intake

My 23 hp command engine has a bent push rod left side intake valve. what could cause this issue. oil maintenance has been regular as specified by the service manual.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: first time and theJohn Deere is about 8 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I have purchased new lifters and lifter train to replace all of the valve lifter systems.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No I can not think of what else to look at accept that the lifter failed
Bent push rods are caused by loose valves. It is recommended that you get valves checked for proper adjustments yearly, but many places overlook this and then customers get bent or broken push rods.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you.
Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and your rating helps me to achieve this
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The maintenance manual from Kohler gives a procedure to set the valve prewload by setting the rocker arm off of the push rod and adjust the rocker arm bushing to 100 inch lbs and then using a valve compression too set the rocker arm on the push rod.

B​y replacing the parts you have ordered and proper adjustments, you should be back to working order in no time.

what you stated sounds correct, but I would need to know model and spec of the engine to verify.

If you have the Kohler Manual, I would go strictly by that book.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
the model number is ***** CV23S. Going to the Kohler manual service I retrieved the manual. Oh yes I gave you a 5 star rating
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The Kohler is running great now Thank You