Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Perkins 1104D-44T that shuts down after about an…

Customer Question
I have a Perkins...

I have a Perkins 1104D-44T that shuts down after about an hour from overhearing

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Overheating

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

About two weeks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/24/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Application? Radiator cooling? Slow overheat, not rapid ? Fan belt tight? Good air flow through radiator from fan? Is there an oil cooler in radiator or in line with radiator?

Fan belt is tight and air flow is good. This is a 1104D-44T. Can you find out if there is an oil cooler in radiator? Or in line with radiator?

Engine application dictates that, not the engine. What is application? Are hydraulics heating up? Do you see lines going into the bottom of the radiator ?

Engine application is a generator

So there is no oil cooler. Do you have a temperature gun, to test the hot points of engine/ Harbor Freight has one for Bout $25. Point at a hose and it gives direct reading. Very accurate. Then you can test drop across radiator, top and bpttom hoses and water pump.

I am in Hurricane ravaged St Thomas, and I am not a mechanic. I own the generator with the Perkins engine. It would probably take two weeks to get anything here from Hsrbor Freight. I am dealing with the gentleman from whom I purchased the generator with the Perkins engine, who is not an expert generator mechanic. I am attempting to get answers from you for him. Can you please give us a check list of items to do in hope of finding out why the engine shuts down from overheating?

I will assume it is full of coolant. You have no coolant loss? Try removing the thermostat, located where the top radiator hose connects to the engine . That will give better flow of coolant through the radiator. That will also let you see the water circulation in the top of the radiator. If not flow of coolant in the top of radiator , then the water pump may have bad impeller. If all checks good, do you have a manual thermometer to double check the temperature gage and sender that is shutting off engine?

OK I will pass this along to the "mechanic". I don't know if he has a thermometer. I will not see him until tomorrow, so this will have to be continued. Thanks for your help.

OK>

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 months ago

I see question is still open, did you see my response?

I saw your response but have been unable to get the generator guy over here. This is like a war zone. Nothing is normal.

OK> Thanks, Texas

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician