Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Briggs & Stratton 7K generator. New battery, plug,

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a Briggs & Stratton 7K generator. New battery, plug, oil, filter, ECT. The unit ran after some time sitting. Died quickly due to stuck carb. Cleaned carb and went to start it up, but no action at all. I inadvertently left the switch on run so I thought the battery was dead. Went to jump it and now no matter what I do the battery terminals spark and heat up when I connect them. I'm confused. Help?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, brand new fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No that's it. I can't figure out why the battery is sparking when connecting. It was working yesterday

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
9/24/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Remove the spark plug and let the fuel out! Engine is locked, due to fluid on top of piston. Starter can't turn it!

Hi Curtis, this is why the battery is sparking when connecting?

maybe not, maybe the starter solenoid is stuck!

Tap on the solenoid, to see if ti will free up.

Alright let me get out there, be right back

OK>

Well I got nothing. I was able to connect the battery without the sparks but now there is no power it seems when I turn the switch to on.

Do you have a voltmeter to test battery voltage, and to see if the power is to the solenoid.

Ha, yes and no...batteries crapped out so it's not working. Think that I need to get that first so I can see where the current dies. It could be the solenoid but, going to get batteries for the meter and will get back you later. Thanks

OK>

I'm afraid my voltmeter is done even with new batteries. I'll have to out and pick one up tomorrow. Thanks for the comments. Can we pick this up tomorrow?

Sure, use link in your email to get back here.

Thank you

K>

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago

I see question is still open, did you see my response?