Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

How do pull out the generator on a 2012 forest river stealth…

Customer Question
How do pull out...

How do pull out the generator on a 2012 forest river stealth toy hauler rv for servicing the unit is it a slide out tray

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Generac quiepac qp40 i'm going to say 2012 i bought the trailer new ( maybe 2011 model )

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes i am i need to replace the power wire to the starter and can't even see the starter

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The unit was trouble free for 5 years untill the wire connector broke off at the starter motor connection

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 4 days by:
9/29/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 7 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, are you still needing help with this?
I need to know if the generator can slide out
There are many different ways in which gensets are mounted.
Without seeing your specific application, I have no idea which way yours is mounted.
But I have never seen any genset mounted on a slide in a fifth wheel - and very few Generacs mounted on a slide at all.
In a fifth wheel, a genset is usually bolted in from underneath.
To remove them, you need to disconnect all wiring and thhe fuel line, tailpipe, and anything that might be in the way.
Then you unbolt the genset and lift it out.
This often means having to remove the compartment door, also.
I'm not sure where fifth wheel comes into this its a toy hauler travel trailer and having to disassemble the unit to do minor repairs sounds to me as a very poor design but any ways thank you for your response

I thought the Stealth was a fifth wheel - I didn't realize it was a bumper pull.

Regardless, it is still a travel trailer, and not a motorized RV. I have never seen a slide tray on anything but motorized RV's, and except for diesel pushers, slide trays are few and far between.

Replacing a starter cable may seem like a minor repair, but it is something that is not done very often - it is not considered routine maintenance.

I'll figure it Thanks again

No problem.

I'm sorry that is not what you wanted to hear, but the truth is always better than a lie.

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my performance with you today.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician