Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an Ariens AX254 approx. 3 years old. Went to start it…

Customer Question
I have an Ariens...

I have an Ariens AX254 approx. 3 years old. Went to start it for the season and it will not start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I have fuel in the tank, spark on the plug. It will fire if I use starting fluid but shuts down when the fluid is burned up. I drained the fuel from the tank where it goes into the carburetor to make sure it was getting fuel. I removed the float housing and it is clear but no fuel in the cup.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if it was not going to involve the carb

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Any ideas on a fix? The snowblower is only 3 years old and has only been used several times. I didn't expect to have problems already with a new unit.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/23/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 10 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

TRY SPRAYING CARB CLEANER OR STARTING FLUID INTO THE CARB INTAKE. If you can spray fuel into the carb and/or cylinder and it will run briefly, you have a carb issue. You will need to remove the carb and clean it internally. The cause is a clogged jet, and it is not able to pull its own fuel to continue running. once carb is clean and free of debris in the jet(s), it should operate as normal