JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a 17.5 HP Troy Built Mower that has an unusual

I have a 17.5 HP Troy Built Mower that has an unusual problem. I was mowing in high weeds when a small piece of wood became lodged under the idle arm making the engine run at full throttle. I shut it down and checked it finding the piece of wood and removed it. When I tried to restart the engine it would only try to turn it over but it couldn't I removed the spark plug and it will turn the engine fine but when I replace the Plug it does the same thing. I've heard about vapor lock is that what my problem is? Ted
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Troy Built Pony 17.5 HP made in 2011
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not really

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

spray some carb cleaner or starting fluid into the intake. see if the engine will start

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The problem with that is when I try to start it the engine won't turn over enough to pick up starting fluid.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
The engine only turns when I remove the Spark Plug.

okay, I understand now. since the engine was stuck in the wide open position for a period of time, the first thing I would do is check the valves and push rods of the engine. It is possible the valve ran too fast and are now not set correctly or it may have bent a push rod since it doesn't want to turn over when under compression.

most of these machines came 17.5hp Briggs engine and both intake and exhaust valves should be set at 0.005

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I will try that when I go out, Thanks for Now

Let me know if you need anything further please.