Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Trailmaster XRS300 go kart. Turned on kart, it

Customer Question
I have a Trailmaster XRS300...
I have a Trailmaster XRS300 go kart. Turned on kart, it started and ran for about 45 seconds. Then it shut off. Will not start, does not turn over--no power--lights,etc. will not cut on. Checked fuse--including power level from battery through the fuse (11.92 volts). The engine is water cooled with a radiator and fan. Per the wiring diagram, there is supposed to be a fuse connected to the water temperature switch. Not sure where this is located. Would this fuse blowing cause engine to shut off? Cannot figure out why engine died. HELP-please.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/22/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What is battery voltage when you go to start? Does it drop any? If you follow the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid and jump across the solenoid , does engine turn? Can you turn engine using the output shaft 360 by hand.

I know very little about electricity.The positive battery cable goes to a starting relay( with a small wire offshoot that appears to go through a fuse and to the ignition/start switch) which has 11.92V going in and out. Large wire goes from relay to starting motor and it has 11.92 volts. Two more wires appear to go from relay to ignition start switch. Because the wiring is enclosed and hidden behind parts of engine, not sure how current gets to spark plug. Reviewing the wiring diagram I cannot even find the spark plug. Sorry I am not more help.

On the starting relay will be another post, that has cable that goes to the starter, jump the two cable terminals together, there will be a few sparks , but engine should spin. If not, battery, cables or the starter is the fault. 11.92 volts is ow, fully charged battery would be over 13 volts!

I see question is still open.???