Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have a generac generator, it will start, then starts leaking…

Have a generac...

Have a generac generator, it will start, then starts leaking large amount of fuel out of the head cover vent.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

9/22/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

ok, what else do you need to know?

Needle valve in the carburetor is not shutting off the fuel supply, the needle and float needs to be cleaned.

Here is basic carburetor, your's will be similar.

I did clean that, it didn't appear to be sticking, but could have been. I need to replace the head cover gasket before I can try to restart it. If that was sticking, it would cause fuel to run out the head cover vent tube?
just trying to make sure it can't be anything else before I order the gasket.

Yes, but check the oil in the engine, is not diluted with gasoline.

ok, will do, was planning on draining the gas tank, since it has been sitting, and changing the oil.

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician