Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Briggs and Stratton model 287707 14.5 hp motor type…

Customer Question
I have a Briggs...

I have a Briggs and Stratton model 287707 14.5 hp motor type 1279-E1 The choke assembley won't return. I guess the spring is broken, how do you replace it?

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I never have and I am not sure how you do your service. Are the chats free if we buy parts from you?

Mechanic's Assistant: The Small Engine Technicians require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.

HOw much is the fee?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

NO, the mower will start if I manually close the butterfly valve on start up from a cold engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, we checked that

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/22/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Choke lever is spring loaded. Ad it takes a small coiled spring under the lever, The choke plate has to be removed from the shaft, and the shaft removed, to install the spring, then the lever and flap can be re-installed.

#634 in the Walbro diagram below.

How do you remove the choke plate? Is that the on top of the assembly? Doesn't the spring have to be replaced too?

The flap has two screws holding it to the shaft. Screws are removed, shaft pulls out the top, and the spring is accessed. 634 is the spring item number. You will have to click on the carburetor section on site I sent.

The technician did a good job but the service is a rip off. I thought it was $5 not $18. You didn't tell me that until you got my card numbers. Not happy.

I wok from home as a contractor, I have nothing to do with site or billing, I only get credit when customer is happy and a posiitve rating is given. I will send it to site moderator. Sorry.