Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Onan GenSet 4000 (1994) was running good and now won't…

Customer Question
My Onan GenSet 4000...

My Onan GenSet 4000 (1994) was running good and now won't start. It will crank over, has 1/2 tank of fuel, batteries are up to full charge but it won't start.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Fuel is at 1/2 tank and clean and fresh.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. I have some experience but mostly with auros.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a complete set 0f tools.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
I am not aware of a shut off valve so it has not been shut off. The oil level is near the top of the marks on the dip stick. I took one spark plug out (the one easiest to get to) and checked for spark and there does not seem to have spark to the spark plugs.
What procedure should I follow to trouble shoot this engine?
I will check to see what paper work I have on this engine. I don't believe I have a manual.
The literature I have is an Operator's Manual and a Installation Manual but no repair manual.
This GenSet 4000 is either a model BGE or a NHE
9/22/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

With it not having spark, the ignition coil may have failed. Find the coil and check to see if it has voltage to it. If it does, and park from coil, try a new coil.