Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an onan marquis 7000 generator that has a major

Customer Question
problem. When you start it...
I have an onan marquis 7000 generator that has a major problem. When you start it , it runs good for about a minute then it starts loping.. It acts like the engine is shutting down, the choke opens, it revs up, and then it starts all over gain
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/21/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

It is starving for fuel and the governor is tryin gto compensate. Check the fuel deliver to the carburetor. Can have fuel pump not working or a fuel filter plugged, or a restriction in fuel line from the tank,

I have changed spark plugs (2), put on new fuel pump, changed all fuel lines, and new fuel filter. Gasoline feeds from main fuel tank and it is half full. I unhooked fuel line just before filter and cranked engine, and pump is pumping great. Engine cranks up Google and runs good for about a minute, and then starts loping.

Try running it out of a fuel container, and not the existing fuel tank.

I tried running from a container, it ran for almost a minute, with the choke almost fully open, and used about half a quart of gas and then it died and would not restart.

Is there an electric solnoid in the carburetor? Is it loosing voltage when it dies>

I don't think it has a solonoid. The only electrical hook up is to an actuator that regulates air flow (I think)
I answered back, I don't know if their is a solonoid, the only electric hookup I can see is a actuator that looks like it controls the air flow to the carburetor.
Why haven't I received an answer???
I answered the expert back but haven't got anything back from him........

Sorry, had to take wife to Dr appointment. Experts work from home and are not always available. So you are saying it ran same from fuel container as from fuel tank? Will it immediately restart, or does it have t sit a while? Does it have spark at the plug when it quits?

Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 10 months ago

I see question is still open.??