Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

MY ONAN GENERATOR IN RV won't start 4000kw out put 4

MY ONAN GENERATOR IN...

MY ONAN GENERATOR IN RV won't start 4000kw out put 4 KYFA261000model. sparks only when releasing starting switch.?

Mechanic's Assistant: What confuses you?

Why it doesn't spark when trying to start generator? unit won't run at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

All in fuel is well. ignition coil seems to be problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'm a millwright for 50 yrs yes I can figure out mechanical problems NO spark is problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Ignition coil is a(###) ###-####numbers on coil made in germany from Purfex I think

9/21/2017
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

No spark until you let off the start switch is normally a sign of a bad magneto, but can be a bad coil.

Remove the control panel to access the coil
Pull the white wire off the coil.
Pull the spark plug wire off the spark plug.
Set your meter to ohms.
Connect the black lead to the coil mounting screw.
Connect the red lead to the terminal you removed the white wire from.
You should get a reading of 0.5 ohms.
Now connect the red lead to the spark plug wire.
You should get a reading of 1,100 ohms.

If either reading are out, the coil is bad.

Now set your meter to ACV.
Connect the black lead to a good engine ground.
Connect the red lead to the white wire you removed from the coil.
Press and hold the start button for about 5 seconds.
You should get a reading of 15-60 VAC.

If you do not get a minimum of 15VAC, the magneto is bad.
.

the omh reading went right to the end of scale on both terminals
Thks for the input. do you have Cda address where I might order one

You can get one here:

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcart/ignition-coil-1660779-1660818-onan-ky-spec-bh-p-236.html?zenid=028d38416017e05472c46add73bcc45d

Thank you for using Just Answer, and please take a moment to rate my assistance.

Hank F.
Hank F., Technician