Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 22" walk behind Troy-Bilt mower that is rear wheel…

I have a 22"...

I have a 22" walk behind Troy-Bilt mower that is rear wheel drive. It has quit driving when the drive lever is engaged. I ordered and replaced the belt but it didn't help. Is there a nother adjustment, cable perhaps, that I can try?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Troy-Bilt, model number 12A1869F011, 21" in. cut (not 22" as previously stated)

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Mower is about 5 years old.

9/21/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

With spark plug wire removed, transmission in drive position, turn the pulley on the transmission, and see if the axle turns, if not, the axle gears are stripped. If the axle turns, check the wheel ends, where they attach to the axle ends.

Wheels do turn when I turn the pulley. I replaced the drive belt a few days ago. I should have mentioned earlier that when I engage the drive it does make it the mower easier to move but won't move on its own. The drive is acting more like a drive assist rather than moving the mower. The mower use to pull itself and me up an incline but won't move on flat ground without me pushing.

Check the axle ends whee they attach to the wheels, Gears may be stripped.

Gears, both drive and driven(inside wheel) look good and still have grease on them when I checked them a few days ago. Can this be a cable issue?
cable adjustment issue

Cable just puts transmission into or out of gear. If you have gears engaged, and turn the pulley, and it turns, not cable problem. Is belt tight, not slipping?

From what I can tell the belt doesn't seem tight to me. Is there a way to check belt tension other than mower won't move?

With the spark plug wire removed, you just see if the belt slips on the pulleys, if it does, belt is loose. is transmission tight or does it move forward/back.

Transmission has little to no play. I would say that it is tight.

Is the belt loose enough that it slips on either of the pulleys?

Gripping the belt, I am unable to pull on it to make belt slip... Ok, we talked about this already I believe but when I turn the drive wheels the shaft turns but the input pulley doesn't move.

So the transmission needs to be replaced!

Probably. What's the ballpark figure on a transmission, just a general number? I'm thinking of perhaps purchasing a new unit. Hate to some near the end of mowing season!

$150 for a new drop in transmission.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician