Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Second opinion] We recently installed 6 brand new Trojan 8

Second opinion] We recently installed 6 brand new Trojan 8 volt batteries in our 2010 Club Car golf cart. After fully charging the cart we can barely play 12-14 holes of golf every time. After charging overnight, when I tested each battery with a volt meter, they all tested around 7.95-7.97 volts. I have not yet tested them after the batteries are drained but will do that today. They were also recently filled with distilled water but that did not help at all. Do you have any other suggestions to try and isolate what is causing this problem? Thank you for your help.JA: How long has this been going on? And how severe is the problem?Customer: We installed the new batteries 2 months ago and the problem has existed the entire time.JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?Customer: yesJA: Anything else we should know to help you best?Customer: Not that I can think of.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Batteries are not being charged! The 8 volt battery should be over 8,5 volts when fully charged. Use voltmeter to test charger output to batteries, check the voltage at battery pack, before attaching charger, then plug in the charger and watch the voltmeter, voltage should start out pack voltage and slowly increase as batteries are charged, and charger should run about 8 hours for full charge. With club Car, you may need to reset the OBC, which controls the charger function. Here is link.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Curtis for your response and your time. I will certainly try to reset the OBC. When you refer to the battery pack, do you mean the total voltage for all 6 batteries which in my case is 48 volts?Someone else suggested that the motor brushes may need to be replaced which apparently could cause it to draw too many amps and suppress the voltage. Do you think that is also a possible cause of this problem?
Thanks again

Motor brushes would affect performance, but you have a battery voltage problem, as 48 volt pack fully charged will be over 54 volts!

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Hi Curtis:I did the OBC reset and the batteries continue to charge at the high end of the meter (around 15 amps) on the charger but then the charger keeps turning off before the batteries are fully charged. What component of the OBC is responsible for turning off the charger? Can it be replaced? Should I bypass the OBC?
Thanks again

There is a way to bypass the OBC, bit then charger has to be unplugged, or it may keep charging. See one below.