JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a 6HP 4 in 1 unit that won't start. I checked the

I have a 6HP 4 in 1 unit that won't start. I checked the switch on the back of the unit that is held down with the chute or the bag unit and it appears that the switch is close when the button is up, and almost open when the button is pressed. Is that correct?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes..it appears to be a spark problem, and I just replaced the spark plug
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes just need to know if that safety switch is operating correctly
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't find a wiring diagram, or I could find out myself

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

do you have continuity when the button is pressed or depressed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
continuity when the button is NOT pressed. When the button is pressed I have a trickle of continuity only.

th​en the switch is bad and needs to be replaced. pressed should allow the spark to be present at the plug and allow engine to fire for starting

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK that makes sense but then if I don't put the chute or the bagger on, the switch button will be up and therefore the unit should start. Correct?

the button should be pressed for the engine to start and run. should not be able to run without the chute or bagger on the machine for safety reasons

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok...I guess I need to get a new switch and I understand the safety thing, but the continuity exists when neither the chue or bagger is installed. Oh well.

l​et me know the outcome of a new switch. do you have spark at the plug with button pushed or not pushed or neither?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
have to wait for wife to get home to check that.

not a problem.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will do that ty for your help
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Just for your info...the new switch I purchased operates the same as my old one. Continuity when button is NOT pressed. Your response was incorrect and your charge for that info was uncalled for.