Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

After clearing undervoltage fault my generator will run

Customer Question
After clearing undervoltage fault...

After clearing undervoltage fault my generator will run briefly then go back into undervoltage or underspeed fault. my generator voltage output at startup is 240 volts then after idle down voltage drops and faults again. this is on 16kw generac residential generator.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Generac less than year old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

This unit was installed in June this year

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/19/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial number of the genset?

Hi Hank model number is: GD064522 with serial number:(###) ###-####

Ok.

Your unit is still under warranty. The best thing to do here is to contact an authorized Generac repair facility to have this repaired under warranty.

If you try to fix this yourself, you will be voiding your warranty, and will be responsible for the cost of any parts.

If you need help finding an authorized facility, let me know your ZIP code.

If you still wish to do this yourself, and don't mind losing your warranty, I will need a statement from you acknowledging that you understand that by working on this yourself, you will be voiding your warranty.

I am ***** ***** Electric LLC owner and operator. We have hooked up the electrical to many generators over the last few years. We do not service them. This is a new installation that is giving the above problems. I'f it is very difficult I will suggest Certified Tech I'f you can't give me answer to above question I shouldn't be charged 27 dollars. Thank You ***** *****
I am a certified Generac technician, and I am not going to risk losing that status, or the warranty, by telling you to do something that is supposed to be done by a certified technician. I just had a conversation with Generac about this a few days ago, and they were explicit that for a warranty to remain in effect, this type of work must be done by a certified technician.
An electrician would have no problem doing what needs to be done, but if you are not certified, it will void the warranty.
I will opt out of this question.
Perhaps someone else will be willing to risk their certification.