Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Craftsman mower with &S Platinum 190cc engine won't start

Craftsman mower with B&S Platinum 190cc engine won't start all the time. New air filter, clean fuel, checked spark with tester, tried starting with starter fluid without luck. Let it sit overnight, started first pull. Shut it off to go get shoes on to mow, now won't start again - not firing at all. Could the problem be in the stop switch?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes - new, clean fuel
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Same thing has been happening for a few months. If I shut the mower off for a break, it won't restart. Sometimes after a few hours it will, but usually not till next day.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

f you have spark, it is not spark problem. If no spark, the coil may be failing. If coil quits, it has to cool before it may start again.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I used an inline spark tester and the light does flash when I pull the starter cord, so I presume it has spark. If it was the coil, would the engine continue to run or shut off on it's own? If it does start, it runs fine. Just won't start again once you shut it off.

Is choke working, and closing the choke butterfly for starting? if coil was bad, it would kill engine, and not restart till it cooled.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
choke is working. My suspicion now is the stop switch.

Stop switch would kill the spark. You say you have spark.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
when I tested the spark yesterday, I installed the spark tester and had my wife look for the light while I held the stop bar down and pulled the starter cord. She said the light was blinking when I pulled the cord, so I presume that I have spark. Could the kill switch be bad and only working intermittently (or when cool)? It's baffling me that when it sits overnight, it fires on the first pull and runs as long as I want, but when I shut it off and try to restart, it won't start until it sits again.

Does not sound like the way a stop switch would fail. But it dos sound electrical in nature. Coil bad or spark plug.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Guess I will have to take it to shop - spark plug is new. Thanks for your help.

Thank you!