Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

How do I test the 7 prong ignition switch, 1 day, yes, no

how do I test the...
how do I test the 7 prong ignition switch
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: 1 day
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Columbia lawn tractor
9/19/2017
73bbchevy

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Bob testing an ignition switch is pretty simple, there will be one power input and the other terminals will all get power at different points of the ignition being turned.

if you can send a picture of the bottom of the switch there are numbers near each terminal that tell you a circuit.

I can use those numbers and tell you at what position they should have power.

Lou

thanks for your time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8G7kxCl9hY

here is a video that tells a bit about a switch as well to give you an idea.

Lou

I ALREADY seen this that is a 5 prong
I have a 7 prong

that i understand, I was merely giving you an idea of how they are tested.

Like i said if you can tell me the prongs id on the bottom of it I can tell you what position they should have power.

I am just trying to help here Bob since I know how to test these I just dont know the exact style that you have.

thanks for your help
good bye

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may receive my credit , 5 stars is ideal , please request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.

you now showed me a 6 prong
I have a seven prong
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello Lou. My name is***** would like to assist you. There are some model numbers under your seat. If you can get these numbers for me, I will check for a wiring diagram. With a wiring diagram I can help you test your ignition switch.

john deere l118
L118

Is your mower a Columbia or a John Deere?

john deere

Thank you for confirming. I read your earlier post and you posted Columbia Lawn Tractor.

Do you have a continuity tester or a multimeter?

I have both

Very good! Have you removed your switch from your mower?

Let's use your continuity tester.

ok

Look at the bottom of your ignition switch. Each one of your seven prongs will have an identifying letter either stamped into it, or stamped next to it. Look for a (B) and a (S).

ok

Check for continuity between (B) and (S) when your key is in start position.

There should be continuity between these two terminals only when your switch is in start position.

all terminals B,G,S,M,L,R1 & R2
yes continuity on B and S in start position
yes continuity on B and L in run position
yes continuity on G and M in stop position
sorry
all terminals B,G,S,M,L,A1 & A2

Thank you for checking. Your results indicates that your switch is ok.

what is A1 and A2

A1 powers your fuel shut off solenoid, etc. In on position, there should be continuity between B and A1.

A2

In run position there should continuity between (L) and (A2).

Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
thanks that's great

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician