Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Mower blades on older craftsman won't fully disengage,

Customer Question
Mower blades on older...

Mower blades on older craftsman won't fully disengage

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Probably 20 years old. Craftsman model###-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Replaced the entire deck with new one. It seems the only way to get the blades to fully disengage is to shut down the whole machine, and start it up again, and then the blades don't turn, belt does not turn, but once it engages, it won't disengage, even if I manually pull back on the puller/idler. blades keep spinning

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/19/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

If the blades are not disengaging, this is normally caused by a belt not completely releasing the tension and this is caused by the tensioner arm not moving in full motion. do they ever completely stop?

if you completely shut down the machine and start it up the blades do not turn

Follow the link and look at #56 in the diagram of parts.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-number/917-258542/0247/1509200.html

this is what will hang up. you can use wd40 or another lubricant to spray on it and move it manually back and forth many times to try and free it up so it has full motion

It's a brand new deck , brand new belt it slides back fine I can even pull it back completely out of the way and the belt still spinning
Then if I turn it off the brake stops the blades from turning and then when I start it up again the blades aren't turning

are the brakes making contact with the pulley while machine is running? The brake should stop the blades from turning

not sure. You mean when I first start it up?
If I'm running the engine and the blades are turning and I disengage the blades and push the brake pedal the blades keep turning
JON? Are you still there?

I am here, one moment..

I am meaning the brakes on the deck. are they making contact with the pulley to stop the blades

you should have a brake arm on each pulley that will stop the blades once disengaged. if they are not stopping the blades, they are being bound up

#53 in the diagram is what they look like

are you saying by disengaging the blade lever, that should automatically make the brakes stop the blade from turning?
I have a brand new deck all these parts you mention are all brand new. Is there anything else that could be affecting this other than the deck itself?
There must be something else because once I turn the whole tractor off then start it again, the brakes don't let the police turn then
pulleys
Jon, I have to get ready to go to the dentist. Can we continue later?

that is fine. I am looking over the schematics of the deck assembly

then do I just sign back in and start chatting with you when I can?

yes, I will be around

Hi Jon I'm back again are you available?
I've removed the deck now it looks like when I disengage the blade the brake applies pressure to the pulley but it just keeps pulling anyway and is already beginning to wear away the new brake pad
well it doesn't seem like you've been able to help me solve my problem Jon. so I think I'd like to go ahead and get a refund since I haven't gotten any further ahead with resolving the issue.
unless you have any other suggestions I'd like to apply for a refund