Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have a Craftsman T1600 riding lawnmower. Won't start - no…

Customer Question
Have a Craftsman T1600 riding...
Have a Craftsman T1600 riding lawnmower. Won't start - no clicking noise or anything when key is turned. It appears to be something with the brakes. You can't push the mower when in neutral unless you push the rod under the right side of mower (I think it is some kind of manual release) But if you push in the clutch again to try and start, it locks back up again and won't move unless you release it again. Any ideas on what I should be looking at?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/19/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

that rod is the bypass valve for the hydrostatic drive. this will not keep machine from starting

Check the fuse first, then Try jumping the solenoid if fuse is good. Follow the reD wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. try jumping the solenoid by placing a screw driver on both poles together and see if machine will turn over. Make sure to engage parking brake and have key turned on. If it turns over, the solenoid is bad.