Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp ohv it will run but it

I have a briggs and...
I have a briggs and Stratton 18.5 hp ohv it will run but it smokes bad white smoke and back fire or popes real bad
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: about a month put a new carburetor and anew fuel pump and new gas lines on it
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: blowing oil out the exhaust
9/19/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Sounds like the valves are out of adjustment and this is causing the timing to be off. Can also be a blown head gasket causing this issue. I would first check the valve clearance and make sure they are both set at 0.005.

Is there any oil leaking onto the machine itself?

be more clear do not understand what you mean don't think there is any oil leaking in to the cylinder
I was asking if there was any oil leaking.
Are you familiar with valve adjusting?
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician