Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Brand new craftsman chain saw, model c944.411370 36cc

Brand new craftsman chain...

Brand new craftsman chain saw, model c944.411370 36cc 2-cycle has seized (?) flywheel after filling with gas (mix) and brake oil after about 1 doz pulls.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

About 2 hours now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The pull rope worked to rotate motor with choke out, then seized up solid.

9/18/2017
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Remove your spark plug then try pulling your rope. Let's see what happens.

hi donald, hope you can help.

I will do my very best. Remove your spark plug then try pulling your rope. Let's see what happens.

this should be a quick fix. try answering here. thanks

The phone call is only optional. You and I will not need it.

spark was pulled. still no rotation when pulling.

Thank you for checking. Have your saw started up for you previously?

was never started before. previous owner never opened or used it when bought in 2001.

Now that I know this is a 2001 model chainsaw, our problem could be due to lack of use. Can you remove the pull rope cover from your engine? We need to determine if you can turn your flywheel by hand.

Your pull rope housing have four screws. We will use a process of elimination.

That's the first thing I tried. The rope cover was pulled and i could not budge the flywheel by hand. Maybe chain brake is stuck?

Ok ...

Leave your rope pulley cover off. Remove your bar and chain. Let's see if your clutch or clutch drum is causing our problem.

That's the cover plate on the right side, right? also the 2 retaining nuts for the bar?

Yes, correct. Remove the two retaining nuts.

Okay, done. I pulled the clutch cover off to expose the clutch. the clutch rotates and moves the chain but the flywheel is still frozen.

Is your spark plug still removed from your cylinder?

Do you have some penetrating oil?

where do i use it?

Pour some into your spark plug hole, then use a ratchet and socket to try to turn your flywheel. Turn your flywheel clockwise. Do not put too much force on your ratchet.

Okay, got it to move now.
I'll take 5 or 10 minutes to button it up and try starting it unless you have other instruction for me.

After you put your pull rope housing back on, pull your rope a few times to remove the penetrating oil from your cylinder. Re-insert your spark plug, then try to start your engine.

If your engine does not start, spray a burst of carburetor cleaner directly into your carburetor.

shall i also reinstall the right side plate for the clutch? or leave it off to start the motor?

You can leave it off until you get your engine started.

okay, i'll need a few more minutes.

No problem.

it started and ran for about 5 seconds. i tried pulling for a few minutes, then the pull cord will not move again. flywheel is stuck again.
Okay now. It runs okay now and will idle. I redid everything as above, so we have it working. I tried putting the clutch cover back on but its hanging up on the band on the inside of the cover plate that slides over the clutch disc. Is there an easy way to get it to slide over the clutch?
I got the plate on okay now.. Pulled back on the bar to open up the band to slide over the clutch. Thanks for your help.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.

Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician