Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I need to replace a worn bearing on the hub assembly of a…

Customer Question
I need to replace...

I need to replace a worn bearing on the hub assembly of a Snapper self Propelled walk behind mower. Can I just replace the bearing or do I need to replace the assembly. It appears to be original equipment so the bearing seems to be permanently attached to the hex bushing.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Snapper model R21400. It's at least 20 years old.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/18/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 8 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Which hub are you referring to?

The hub assembly that has the driven disc which turns the drive disc

Thanks for your response and for clarifying. I will pull up a diagram of this assembly.

Thank you for waiting. Based upon your model numbers, I pulled up a parts diagram of your mower and it does not include your hub assembly.

Ok. Lets go back to the beginning. Snapper 21" Hi Vac Series 0 Self Propelled Walk Behind mower. Model # p21400

Thanks for double checking your model numbers. There is a difference in the R21400 and the P21400.

Please take a look at the diagram above. Let me know the part number of the bearing you are referring to.

That's not it Don. I'm looking at the manual. It's the Bearing on the driven Disc thru which the hex drive turns the rubber wheel

I will check again.

The purpose of the diagram is help ensure you and I are referring to the same bearing.

That's it. Item number 23 has to be replaced. Do I have to get item 25 as well or can I just replace the bearing. What I have seems to be original and the bearing can't be removed.

Thank you for clarifying. Your bearing can be purchased without you having to purchase your Hub Assembly. The part numbers for your bearing are 707608. It is available.

OK Thank you. I'll take it from here.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.

Donald
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician