Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a gx270 motor running really. I replaced carb and

I have a gx270 motor...
I have a gx270 motor running really rich. I replaced carb and muffler. still having same problem. Valves? Rings?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About a week.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes. At this point.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Spark plug is covered in carbon. As is Piston. I imagine the valves look the same.
9/18/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

if​ it is running rich the carb is not sealing off when needed while running and it needs to be cleaned and rebuilt as needle and seat are not working correctly

you can buy this carb new from amazon.com for under $15

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Carburetor-Honda-models-16100-ZH9-W21/dp/B000ORV4B8

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

The carb and exhaust were replaced at the same time with new replacements. It seemed to be working fine, but went back to the same symptoms.Valves were adjusted. What else could cause this problem?
I'm okay with chat
any other advise?

either carb or valves is the only thing really as with burning rich is too much fuel, so wither the carb is providing too much, or the timing is not burning of the proper amount

was it doing this prior and you replaced the carb to fix it before?

the same symptoms with in a day of replacement. When I replaced the carb I went through 2 gallons of TruFuel. After that it took 91 Octane fuel with sea foam.Seafoam in cylinder seamed to clean it up. Could a full cleaning of deposits on valves and piston, with a ring replacement be the answer?

could be yes, but this seems off. is there a filter in the tank for this?

it is fine. fuel line is clear. I found some corrosion around main jet, which is why I replaced carb. Exhaust was filled with carbon as well and why replaced.I'm at a equipment rental store. This one has perplexed us, so why we reaching out to ask. Also, why getting carbs and exhausts are not much of a stretch for us.
slightly bent push rod?

I​ would not think so, as Hondas will normally either run or not run when valve issues arise. do not see many issues with these engines

can the piston be accessed from the top? Not open the crank case?

y​ou will only be able to see the top of the piston

I'm debating getting a new motor, or attempting to fix this one. This machines down time is reflective of $'s .
A new motor replacement might be a better way to go.

n​ew motor is the way I would go as it aint making any money sitting there broken. new motor will pay for itself over time

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Yeah. We have another that is going that way on another log splitter.
Thanks for your time, You helped get to my final decision.
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician