Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I know it is silly in our throwaway culture, but I have a…

Customer Question
I know it is...

I know it is silly in our throwaway culture, but I have a Poulan 3400 (approx 30 years old) that has a hole in the top of the gas tank. The hole is perfectly round (3/16" approx) so I assume it was put there and something is missing. I have not been able to find a gas tank anywhere (of course) so just wondering if you have any ideas. It seems like a shame to throw away an old friend who has served so well.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

I have been cutting up storm damage for about a week. I notice the leak a few days ago.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can. If not, and I can locate the part, I will get help. Looks like I have to remove the flywheel to remove the tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I can't think of anything more to tell you. I thought the plastic tube to the carb must be leaking, but it is sound. Such a good saw.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/18/2017
Technician: Joecamel90,
 replied 11 months ago
Joecamel90

Hello I will help,

So you just want to seal the hole?

Find a screw that fits and get a package of JB fuel tank putty at an autoparts store. Mix a small dab of the repair material and coat the threads of the screw with it and screw it into the tank then let sit for an hour. It will be sealed. But it could be the purge line from the carb. This returns excess gas to the tank when you push the purge valve. The line falls apart with the ethanol in the fuel and needs to be replaced. New 3/16 clear plastic line is available at any small engine parts location or online through eReplacementparts.com

Let me know how I can help

Thanks