Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a gx340 11.0 engine the prob. I'm having is the

Customer Question
I have a gx340...

I have a gx340 11.0 engine the prob. I'm having is the engine will start and run but dies out at approx. half throttle as if running out of fuel. I have replaced the carb , removed and cleaned fuel tank checked fuel filter. The governed seems to be working properly but it just won't run past approx half throttle Do you have any sugestions ? I would Realy appreciate any help you can give me... Kirk

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know of

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Is your replacement carburetor brand new?

it is I also called the company I got it from and explained the prob. And they sent me another carb , but still does the same thing
I'm sure I can fix it if I know the problem...

Thanks for your response.

Are you getting a steady flow of fuel from your fuel tank to your carburetor?

very good flow , I pulled the tank and cleaned and blew through the hoe to the tank to make sure there were no obstructions

Have you checked your valve clearances?

No I have not. The engine ran good last fall and that was the last time it was ran until just recently The only reason I replaced the carb was because it was leaking in 3 or 4 diffrent placese and there cheap so I just ordered one

Is your carburetor OEM or aftermarket?

Aftermarket

Thanks for confirming. If your valve setting are ok, it is very likely that your carburetor is at fault, although it is new. You may need to purchase an OEM carburetor.

Were you having this problem with the leaking carburetor?

No just very hard stating and leaking like crazy. It starts easy now and seems to run good up to 1/3to1/2 throttle but the chokes out. Very strange !!! Does it sound more like valves or carb to you and just for the hell of it what should the valves be set at although I most likely will find the OEM carb just sounds fuel related. Too bad it wasn't setting in front of you now ...

I believe that if your leaking carburetor continued to work beyond 1/2 throttle, after your engine finally starts, then your valves are possibly ok. The settings are .004" on both valves.

Thanks for your help , I will find the proper carb and go from there. That was my thought too I just wanted to here it from a certified mechanic. Have a good night Donald...

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.

Thank you again for choosing Just Answer. If you need additional assistance, please feel free to let me know, and I will be happy to continue working with you, until our problem is resolved. There is a link in your email that you can click on, if or when you need to return to our discussion page.

My goal is to always offer total satisfaction. If you feel that my services have been helpful to you, please take a moment to rate my services.

If the new carb and valve adjustment doesn't work I will contact you again Again thank you for your help

Awesome! You and I can continue from here. The new OEM carb should resolve our problem.