Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Onan Genset 1 generator will not crank. I can smell gas.

Customer Question
My Onan Genset 1...

My Onan Genset 1 generator will not crank. I can smell gas. I checked the oil level & it started overflowing with oil...any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It's a fairly old RV generator, but it has been running fine till now.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/17/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
If your oil is suddenly overflowing, it means you have a crankcase full of gas.
This happens when the carburetor goes bad, and allows excess gas to flow into the crankcase.
You will need to clean or replace the carb, and change the oil and filter.
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago

Was this what you wanted to know?

Was this what you wanted to know?

Hello, was this what you wanted to know?

Due to your refusal to respond, I will be reporting you as a non-compliant customer.