Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Guardian/GENERAC/Ultra Source 15000watts portable generator…

Customer Question
Guardian/GENERAC/Ultra Source 15000watts portable generator...
Guardian/GENERAC/Ultra Source 15000watts portable generator was running okay then suddenly stopped and will not start again.
Battery is okay at 12VDC.
Fuel is okay,
Both spark plugs tested okay with rich spark.If a prime is placed in the head the engine would fire but does not continue to run.
.Air Filter is clean,
Lubricating Oil is new oil and at correct level,
Any suggestions as to what other problems I should look for, that can be causing this situation?***@******.***
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/17/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 9 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the serial number of your genset?

Hello Hank,
Thanks for getting back speedily. The generator is out in the yard, and it is already 10.20p.m. here, so in the morning I will check and forward to you the requested serial number information.
Regards
Rudy King

Yes, I am on Eastern time. also.

Be advised that I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

At work, I try to sneak in a few questions during breaks, if I get my breaks, but can not guarantee I will be able to be back online until the evening. I work 6:30 AM to 7 PM.

okay,
yours understood so we will .look forward to hearing from you after the serial number is ***** to you sometime in the evening, maybe tomorrow.

Not a problem.

Hello Hank,
Be advised that the serial number as seen on the Generac plate is (###) ###-####Regards
R.King

Are you certain you didn't misread that serial number?

It is coming up as a 14kW home standby unit.

While you are checking, I would like you to do a simple test for me.

Remove the air filter.

While cranking the genset, start spraying in some carb cleaner (do not use starting fluid).

Can you get the engine to run on carb cleaner for a few seconds?

Hello Hank,
NO the serial number was not misread and the unit clearly shows that it is a 15,000watts genset which was purchased from the local Miami dealer back in 2014.
I will have to purchase the suggested "carb-cleaner" tomorrow to effect your suggested check and will advise accordingly if there is any success.
Regards
Rudy King

OK

Hank, I forgot to ask in my last email, but is the Carb-Cleaner to be sprayed into the air filter aperture or is it to be sprayed into the fuel line going to the fuel pump? please advise
Rudy King

Directly into the carb, where the air filter was. That is why I said to remove the air filter - so you could get the cleaner directly into the carb.

Hank,
Thanks will do and advise
Rudy King

Ok.

Have you tried this yet?

Hello Hank,
Yes I did try your suggestion and did inform you accordingly of the results apparently you did not receive my email..
I purchased the "Valvolene: Carb Cleaner , removed the air filter and while spraying the cleaner into the intake of the Carb cranked the engine. It would fire but after the cleaner is burnt off it does not run, even with the gasoline open. I tried this three timres with the same results...where do we go from here?
I also subsequently in another email informed you that I had found another serial number on a plate attached to the engine itself which is(###) ###-####, apparently the first serial number I sent pertains to the generator but this one is for the engine. Please confirm that you received these emails
Regards
R.King

Yes, I did get this one - but no others. You an scroll up to see everything that has transpired between us.

The serial(###) ###-####is actually for your genset - I have no idea where the other number came from.

According to your serial number, your model number is(###) ###-####

At the bottom of your carburetor is a small electrical device. The wire number on it will be 14.

Unplug that wire, and test that wire for 12V while cranking the engine.

Does wire 14 have 12V going to it?

Hello Hank,
I disconnected the wire which I assume is the red wire going to what appears to be a solenoid at the bottom of the Carb.Unfortunately there is no visible number on that wire and most all others in that area(going to start switch) are caked with dirt from over the years, but this wire (RED) that I unplugged along with an earth wire are the only ones I see plugged into the bottom of the Carb....THERE IS NO DC VOLTAGE TO BE READ...when the engine is cranked. I also checked the battery and that reads 13.5volts DC. Any suggestions?
Regards
R.King

If you do not have power to that wire, you need to test the Start/Stop relay.

Click here to download the directions to test it.

Hello Hank,Thanks for the details of testing the SSR circuit. Right now it is raining the proverbial cats and dogs out there so would not be able to do the detailed checks today.Weather permitting tomorrow I will effect the recommended tests and adviseRegards
Take your time. I am actually on the road heading to Texas for a hunting trip right now.
Service is spotty where we are going, and I may have to head into town in the evenings to play catch up.
I may not be able to reply right away, but I will reply.
I won't be home until Monday night.
Hello Hank,
Okay....Happy hunting...but be careful with the people in Texas having just suffered the effects of that hurricane(Harvey) they may not take too kindly to you guys hunting their available food supply(wild animals).
Will keep you informed on my tests of the genset and when you return next week we can carry on if any further tests may be needed.
Regards
R.King
Hello Hank,
Yours received concerning my submission of report on your technical advise. While to date you have provided excellent troubleshooting advise towards determining the problem encountered, however I was of the opinion that an initial payment was made and the remaining balance to be effected when the problem was solved. To date the problem have not yet been solved and the genset is still not yet up and running.
Weather permitting today I will effect the checks you suggested during your last email communique.
Be advised that soon as we can mutually solve the problem I will immediately submit my report so that you can be paid for the services you have provided.
I will inform you this evening of what progress I have made wrt your last suggestion.
Hope your hunting is going great
Regards
R.King

I have no idea what you are talking about, but am assuming it has to do with an email that sounds like it was from me?

If so, it was not. It was Just Answer automated system - they make them sound like they are coming from the experts.

Have you tested the SSR yet?

Hello Hank,
your email has perturbed me as when this started and prior top your sending me your first email ytht you would be mt expert on this problem I was contacted by another person and had to remit to him via this orgnisation, the sum of USA$5.00. After that was sent then you contacted me. This is very disturbing as I had assumed you had initially been paid and the balance would be due on successful completion of the existing problem.
I have not been able as yet to implement the last set of checks you provided the documentation on as it has been raining quite a lot over here where I am .When the weather permits I will do those checks and advise you if any success. Hope your hunting has been a big success.
Regards
R.King

I do not send those other emails - they are sent automatically by Just Answer's computer, after certain periods of time have elapsed.

The only emails you will get that are from me are direct replies to your questions. I have nothing to do with billing or customer accounts - I am just a technician who helps fix the actual problem.

Hank,
Yours received and understood. Somehow your organization(JUST ANSWER) should advise the end client about the billings they make as I was plaintively advised that I had to pay upfront the initial sum of USA$5.00 and the remaining balance on successful completion of the trouble shooting process and rendered advise.
So far I have no complaints about the systematic manner you have been addressing my genset problem but was surprised to learn that you did not receive the initial payment as yet.
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 months ago

For billing questions, you need to contact Customer Service.