Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I can start my 500 series Eater lawnmower with no problem;

Customer Question
I can start my...

I can start my 500 series Weed Eater lawnmower with no problem; but the engine power waxes and wanes continually as I mow the lawn - stalling out now and then.When I come to parts of the lawn where the grass is thicker, the stalling tendency increases and I have to slow down to keep it from stalling. I have added oil recently, thinking that might be the problem; but that didn't fix it. (I know the oil could stand to be changed.) But perhaps the main problem lies (or problems lie) elsewhere. Help!

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Thanks, Pearl! You are speedy! There is fuel in the tank, but there also bits of grass and perhaps other degree that I can see inside. Not sure about the shut-off valve....

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I'll do it, if not too complicated.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well, I don't have a wide array of tools and no experience repairing engines. :-(

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/16/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Remove the air filter and see if it does the same thing if so it is most likely caused by clogged carburetor jet.
You will need to remove the carburetor and clean it with carburetor cleaner for fix this issue
If you have grass debris in the tank that can be partially clogging the fuel line pour it and causing it also