Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I bought this ford fg6250 generator right beofre

Customer Question
I bought this ford...

I bought this ford fg6250 generator right beofre irma...started running rough for about an hour after 25 hours or so of use. now it wont turn over. I know its not power draw because 1) it wont turn over now, and 2) i only had 2 fans, a frig, a tv, and a small A/C unit hooked to it

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yeah done all that. fuel is a light yellow. i didn't notice any water in it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably not. its 30 hours old

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No...and i hate canned responses

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/17/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Will it do anything at all when you turn it to start? Clicking noise? Buzzing? Humming?

nope, a slight stutter maybe but thats it.
Not sure what you mean by slight stutter.
If the engine isn't cranking, can you hear the solenoid clicking?
just tried to start it again, sizeable backfire but nothing. as far as hearing the solenoid, i'm not good enough to be able to discern whether its cliking or not. Though I suppose with that backfire it is.
The engine can't backfire if it is not cranking.
So the engine IS cranking, but just not starting?
correct. I thought I had laid thought out when I said with my original post that the engine wouldn't turn over. Guess i need to be more clear in the future. sorry

It happens - terminology can be a burden.

Take the term "generator". What you are calling a generator, I call a genset. A genset is composed of 2 major components - the generator, which produces the electricity, and the engine, which drives the generator. When I say generator, I am referring to the generator itself - the gen end, or you probably call it the alternator.

Cranking and turning over are the same thing - that is why I thought the unit wasn't cranking.

Backfiring is caused by 1 of 2 things:

1. Restricted carb. You may well have gotten some debris down into the carb that needs to be cleaned out.

2. Misadjusted valves. Make sure the valves are adjusted properly.

I'll take a look at that, pull the carb in the mornin, hopefully it wont void the warrenty

If this unit is still under warranty, I would check into that before pulling it.

k will do.

Ok.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago

Was this what you wanted to know?