Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have the GP6500E and the electric start no longer working.

Customer Question
Hi, I have the...

Hi, I have the GP6500E and the electric start no longer working. I doesnt appear to charge when plugged in... trying to see if its the battery or something else?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes, it starts ok with the pull start

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/16/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What are the model and serial number of the genset?
What do you mean by battery doesn't seem to charge when plugged in?
Hi Hank,
It is a Generac GP6500E
Model(###) ###-####SN(###) ###-####It has a pull start and electric start. The pull start works but the electric start is not working anymore. When i plug the charger in i dont see anything on the display... not sure if its the charger or the battery (or something else)

Sorry, I was at work.
I work 2 day jobs, and normally help on Just Answer in the evenings.
Sometimes at work I am able to work on a few questions during my breaks, but not always - especially when I don't even get to take my breaks.

It was going ok, earlier this afternoon, but then things went mad.

You likely have blown the battery charger fuse.

There is a 1.5A fuse inside the control panel, on the back of the battery charger socket.

Check it to make sure it is not blown.

If it is not the problem, the next most likely issue is the battery. You would need ot take the battery in and have it tested.