Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 450 series mower which won't rev, and emits faint…

Customer Question
I have a 450...

I have a 450 series mower which won't rev, and emits faint black smoke (rich mixture suspected, but no apparent mixture adjustment) New plug and diaphragms fitted, compression excellent, fuel tank flushed. Any suggestions please.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Briggs and Stratton serial no 11 1110 51 46625 sorry! Age don't know - a "gift" looks clean - say 3-5 yrs?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes - done

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am curious that there is no apparent mixture control and don't understand this process. I believe that I have adjusted the speed control correctly. The air condition filter has been replaced, but the performance is the same with the filter removed

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
As we are waiting, I have approved the $25, but I do not wish to continue on a $25 per month basis - happy to pay that for a one-off advice but please terminate any on-going charges
9/16/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Based upon what you have already covered, I believe your carburetor is at fault.

Have you checked your flywheel key to see if it is partially sheared?

We can continue from here.

I will do that, although the flywheel is firm on its shaft
Sorry - I'm in Australia!
The carburettor has no visible means of adjusting the mixture, ?how is this done - is it a fixed function due to jet size and venturi diameter only?

Is your carburetor mounted to your fuel tank?