Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a perkins m20 diesel on a sailboat. It starts easily…

Customer Question
I have a perkins...

I have a perkins m20 diesel on a sailboat. It starts easily and runs from idle to full rpm while not in gear. When I put the engine in gear it stall out in 20 to 30 seconds. Got any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I have a tank and the valve is open. I don't know how clean the fuel is but recently added 2 gallons to an 11 gallon tank. The problem has remained the same with or without the added fuel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Can't seem to find someone locally. Could it be the lift pump?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The boat has had very little use over the last two years. The fuel is a mixture of the old and new. Had a similar problem 2 or 3 years ago and the booster pump was replaced.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/15/2017
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 11 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

you may have several issues here

1st off diesel 2 years old grows allege , clogs the filters and inlet screens

2nd yes the Transfer pump(lift Pump) may become weak of has allege in it

of failed, need to replace

But your big concern is to drain the fuel out complete , replace the filters

with fresh clean fuel , add 15 gals fresh fuel , and put 1 quart of

diesel fuel stabilizer in the tank

I hope this helps you

Hi. If this helped you

Please rate my answer 4 or more stars.

That is the only way I get credit for the question

or the money you paid stays at JA and I get nothing for my time.

If you need more info use the REPLY button

Not the Poor/Bad service.

Morning

Just following up with you

did my answer help you ??

Please remember to rate my answer

or the money you paid stays at JA

and I get nothing for my time