Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My 6200 watt deere generator works fine but is not

Customer Question
My 6200 watt john...

My 6200 watt john deere generator works fine but is not generating any amps.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

John Deere model 30345, 10 years old, but first 8 years never used, never put gas in it, was in show room condition. Used once last year and generated amps fine. This year started up fine but no amps.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

First time used last year, gas line valve crumbled when opening, still ran though because it broke in open position. I took it to dealer to repair, they couldn't get part, but I found one online and repaired myself. However when dealer returned it to me noticed that the harness cable to back of main circuit breaker switch was put back crooked, when no amps , we noticed and straightened it out, but still no amps

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/16/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 9 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

First, a genset does not generate amps - it generates voltage.

Amps is one measurement of how much work a generator is doing, but a generator does produce amperage.

If the genset is not producing any voltage, the first thing you need to try is a procedure called flashing the field.

1. Remove the spark plug wire – you do not want the engine to start while doing this.
2. Obtain an old extension cord that you can cut one end off, or an old power cord from an appliance (you will need the male end left on the cord).
3. This step not needed.
4. Note how on the receptacle, one slot is longer than the other. This longer slot is the negative slot. It is critical that you get it hooked up correctly.
5. Determine which wire of the cord will go to the negative slot.
6. Connect the negative wire to the negative terminal of a 12V battery.
7. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
8. Plug the cord into the receptacle and pull the starter cord 6-8 times.
9. Immediately unplug the cord. DO NOT LEAVE THE CORD PLUGGED IN FOR MORE THAN 6 OR 8 SECONDS.
10. Disconnect the wires from the battery.
11. Reconnect the spark plug wire and see if the set is now producing electricity.

If it is not, please let me know and we can troubleshoot further.
.

Hank, performed flashing the field to no avail. Suspect I need to now replace the voltage regulator and/or brush assembly next? Unless there is a better interim step???
We can test further.
But I am at work right now. I work 2 day jobs and help on Just Answer in the evenings.
I will send testing instructions as soon as I get home this evening.
Thanks, ***** ***** your email.