Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Fasttrak mower with 54" deck is having issues with the…

Customer Question
My Hustler Fasttrak mower...

My Hustler Fasttrak mower with 54" deck is having issues with the blades not engaging. So times when I pull the PTO the engage for a bit then shut off. then nothing happens when I pull the PTO. I switched out the PTO no better and replaced a 15 AMP fuse

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Hustler Fast Track 54" deck, a Honda 691 engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well, if I can I will. As the tell me the mechanic is 2 weeks behind. I was trying to trace wires to see if something came lose.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/15/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 9 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

How old is your battery?

maybe three years
3 years
I am at work and not at home, which probably would be better if I was infront of the mower.

Is your battery maintaining a full charge? Do you sometimes have to charge your battery?

Could it be that simple that there is not enough power from the battery to power the blades? It first happend to my son I replaced the fuse and finished the lawn. The next time I pulled the mower out it cut about 15 yards and the blades stopped.
no never had to charge the battery. I did have to pull the choke last night to get it to kick over.

You stated that you switched out your pto. Are you referring to your pto switch?

correct the switch,

Thanks for clarifying. After your blades stop spinning, how long do you wait before you can engage your blades again?

They would not engage until another day. Last night I tried and they began to for a second then stopped.

Do you have a 12 volt test light or a multimeter?

I can get one, as I said. I will not be able to do this until the afternoon. So if you could give some suggestions I can try later/

After work, I suggest that you check for voltage at your pto clutch, during the times when your pto clutch will not engage. When your engine is off, your pto clutch should click after you pull your pto switch to on position. If you do not hear a click, check for voltage at the wiring connector that attaches to your pto clutch.

I do not here that click, which I have heard before. I pull it up and nothing.
I will do so thank you. I hope it works.

Ok. Let's start with checking your voltage. If no voltage is present, you could have a loose connection, or a wiring issue of some sort. If voltage is present, then your pto clutch could be failing.

would that be a lose wire??? I have to run sorry.

You are very welcome !