Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Model 350447 Briggs wiring issues

Customer Question
Model 350447 Briggs wiring issues
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
It's a 18 hp Vanguard side pump
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Im working on a fire truck pump (waterous) and am having trouble with the wiring. The pump will run if 12V were applied. There was no stitch induced. I've tried to correct this to get the factory switches back in use.I'm not sure which Briggs wires require what voltages/ground
9/15/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 11 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

The pictures that you have attached are of the charging system and should not have any voltage on them unless the engine is running.

The two yellow wires are VAC from the alternator to the voltage regulator(part marked with 394890 on top and has two yellow wires with one red wire). The red wire coming from the voltage regulator on provides VDC back to the battery when the engine is running in order to keep the battery charged up.

Your starting issue has to be fuse, starter solenoid or ignition switch problem. Follow the positive cable on the starter backwards and you will find the starter solenoid, on the other side of the solenoid you will find another large cable and a smaller wire that will have a fuse in it. Check to make certain that the fuse is good, make certain that the battery that powers the system is good and holds at least 8.5VDC when under a load.

This pump has remote start. It uses an orange wire. Should that wire be live

It will only be hot or live when you hit the remote starter switch. That wire should feed a small post on the base of the starter solenoid.

I found an open in the wiring harness on the remote solenoid running to the truck batteries.

I will assume that you have solved the issue when you found that.

Correct, the engines back in service. Thank you.