Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a generac 6500 watt generator with a Briggs 10hp gas…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a generac 6500 watt generator with a Briggs 10hp gas engine. Has always run fine. Cranked and ran it for about 10 minutes the day before we got a big storm and it ran perfectly. The next day, I tried to crank it, and it only backfires and will not crank.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is around a 2003 model. It's called "Power Storm", I think. It is either 5500 watts or 6500 watts with an 8500 watt surge.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible. So far, I've drained the carb and checked it for visible debris, and I've changed to a new spark plug. The gas was shut off and I let the engine run out the gas in the lines the day I checked it to make sure it was running fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, just advice on what could be the problem. Thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Hi, I just verified it is a Generac Power Boss 5500 "Storm Plus" generator, with 8500 surge watts
9/14/2017
Technician: Wayne, Engine Rebuilder replied 11 months ago
Wayne, Engine Rebuilder

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

is it back firing thru carb or muffler ??

Hi Wayne,thru the muffler
Do you need more information?

Thank you for that

I suggest to check and adjust the valves

engine cold, bot valves set at 0.004 to 0.006

I hope this helps you

Hi. If this helped you

Please rate my answer 4 or more stars.

That is the only way I get credit for the question

or the money you paid stays at JA and I get nothing for my time.

If you need more info use the REPLY button

Not the Poor/Bad service.

I was hoping for a little more that this. I got more information that this just browsing the web.

HI

This is a starting point

we need to do the basic 1st