Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I can get my powermate 5000 generator started today. It's a

Customer Question

I can get my Coleman powermate 5000 generator started today. It's a generator my neighbor lent me. He started it with me two days ago and it worked great. It was working fine yesterday. I've checked the oil, gas and spark plugs. Any suggestions?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Not something I'm well suited for
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: My neighbor said he bought the generator in 2004 and never had to use it. I don't know what could be wrong since it's been running fine.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Can you remove the spark plug and see if it is sparking? It has to be grounded to the metal of the engine whole cranking, to see the spark. If it has the spark, put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the spark plug hole,, re-install the spark plug and see if it will run.