Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My 12kv was running for an hour and it shut down, now it…

Customer Question
My 12kv was running...

My 12kv was running for an hour and it shut down, now it starts and runs only for about 20seconds and shuts back down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Full tank (250gal.) of propane and all valves are open

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes , if all possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Unit has about 1 hour total time on it, I started it up at random for about 1 year or so with out any issues.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/15/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model and serial number of the genset?

Guardian Plus Model 04456-3 12kv

I sill need the serial number.

The 4456-3 went through an engineering change in mid-production.

I have already paid a total of $42.00 and have nothing... do I need to pay every single time you guys contact me without the possibility of any solutions to my problem?

I am still waiting for the serial number.

For billing questions, you need to contact Customer Service - I am just a technician.

I will get the number for you shortly, I am away working and will retrieve it this afternoon when I get home. thank you...

No problem - take all the time you need.

I am at work, also.

I work 2 day jobs, and normally help on Just Answer in the evenings.

Item #(###) ###-####Serial #(###) ###-####
man you must have many Kids..... I got my wife to take a picture of the serial# ***** me its(###) ###-#### and it also had an Item #(###) ###-####please advise when possible, we have a new Hurricane taking aim at south Florida again and I was without power with this last one for 5 days due to this generator issue.
again, Thank you....

Ok.

This is an old Generation I unit.

There are a series of 5 LED lights on the control panel.

Which LEDs come on when the genset shuts down?

it flashes all lights when it starts to shut down, I have checked the oil level and it is all good, air filter is new and the gas regulator is one year old. I disconnect the load and everything and it makes difference.

All the lights flashing indicate that the exercise timer is not set.

While the unit is running, is it running smoothly, or is it surging?

Take voltage and frequency readings directly at the circuit breaker while the unit is running for 20 seconds.

What voltage and frequency readings do you get?

No power at all.

Ok.

I have uploaded a series of tests for you to do.

Please do Test #4 - Fixed Excitation/Rotor Amp Draw, and let me know all the results.

When giving the results, please give me wire numbers, not step numbers.

IE - say "wire 2 to 6 is 35VAC", not "step 5 is 35VAC". This makes is easier for me to reference and analyze the results.

Click here to download the test.

Sorry, I have been away from Home helping with Hurricane damage control, I will be back home this coming weekend and will see if I can perform the test you requested. quick question... are you starting to thing that the regulator might have gone bad?
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 months ago

I've been down in Texas on a hunting trip, and just got home late last night.

The VR is definitely a possibility, but there are several things it can be. I am not even going to venture a guess at this point, until we see the results of those tests.