Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

1. I blew the top radiator hose on my ONAN MDL3 1991 vintage

1. I blew the top radiator hose on my ONAN MDL3 1991 vintage MARINE GENERATOR. It blew i surmise because both high exhaust temp and coolant temp shutdowns failed. Where can I go to get instructions to test those fail safes, that failed? 2 . I want to replace all three radiator hoses that all have sharp 90 elbows up there on top of engine connecting Heat exchanger to engine block? I understand there is a hose kit and this is a common problem. 3 Any other suggestions

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

I have never heard of a hose kit for this. As far as I know you have to get each hose separately.

The part number for the upper hose is C0503112300.

The part number for the lower hose is C0503116500.

The part number for the smaller manifold hose is C0503112400.

All safety switches are Normally Open switches, and close to ground when activated.

The exhaust temp switch closes at 190 degrees, and will reopen at about 165 degrees.

The coolant temp switch closes at 222 degrees.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are there only two safety switches? I want to wire in a 12-volt DC buzzer alarm to sound on my flybridge since I have no indication of any problem on the generator on the lower Helm or flybridge. Just a simple buzzer that would sound when the sensor on the motor closes. Any suggestions? Regarding the hoses, is there any magic to getting those hoses installed easier than the push and shove method. They seem impossible to get on.

There is also a low oil pressure switch.

Some units have a low coolant level switch, but not all.

Some units also have an over speed switch.

I know of no shortcuts to changing the hoses.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hank did not answer my question about testing the sensors or how yo wire in buzzer alarm

I work 2 day jobs, and help on Just Answer in the evenings.

But I put my work aside, and tried to call you 3 times, and you are not picking up.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was outside with the estimater for other damage to the boat. please leave a message so i can call back. i am extremely busy

Ok - finally got though.

Hope I explained everything well enough.

No need to reply, unless you need further information.