Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Honda hr 214 cranks, runs about a minute and shuts down,

Customer Question
Honda hr 214 cranks...

Honda hr 214 cranks, runs about a minute and shuts down, will not restart. Once cool, will start, but shuts down again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Put a new coil on last year due to would not start at all. only use to trim, maybe 15 minute per yard, cut 2 to 3 yards per week.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/14/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

How long has it been since your engine started up and performed to your satisfaction?

2 weeks ago

I am back with you. It is very likely that your carburetor need to be cleaned. You and I can continue from here.

Did not mention, but the last 3 seasons, if I don't turn the fuel shut off to off, it leaks. I just figured the main seat vavle need to be replaced. So the next step is to pull the carb and clean and if that does not do the trick, is it just as cost effective and simpler to buy a new carb? Someone told me they are about $35.

In most cases it is best to replace your carburetor.

Sometimes it is difficult to effectively clean a carburetor well enough to perform to your satisfaction.