Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

Honda hr 214 cranks, runs about a minute and shuts down,

Customer Question

honda hr 214 cranks, runs about a minute and shuts down, will not restart. Once cool, will start, but shuts down again.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: put a new coil on last year due to would not start at all. only use to trim, maybe 15 minute per yard, cut 2 to 3 yards per week.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

How long has it been since your engine started up and performed to your satisfaction?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2 weeks ago
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

I am back with you. It is very likely that your carburetor need to be cleaned. You and I can continue from here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did not mention, but the last 3 seasons, if I don't turn the fuel shut off to off, it leaks. I just figured the main seat vavle need to be replaced. So the next step is to pull the carb and clean and if that does not do the trick, is it just as cost effective and simpler to buy a new carb? Someone told me they are about $35.
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

In most cases it is best to replace your carburetor.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Sometimes it is difficult to effectively clean a carburetor well enough to perform to your satisfaction.